Saturday, August 14, 2010

Chicken Corn Soup ... ready for winter

One of the best parts of living in Lancaster County is the Corn Wagon.  I guess that may sound strange to many of you, but it is a key part of summer living here.  The best part of the corn wagon is the cheap sweet corn.  Now that I'm home during the days, I finally have time to freeze food.  The project last week was chicken corn soup.  I apologize that I don't have any photos to add, but I had corn & chicken covered hands.  I used my grandmother's recipe with a few modifications.

1 fryer chicken ~ I used a 7 1/2 lb roaster
10 ears of corn ~ I used all 12
chicken bullion ~ I used 3 Kohr's large bullion cubes
1 small/medium onion quartered
3 celery stalks sliced
small bunch parsley chopped ~ maybe 1/4 cup
5 hard-boiled eggs sliced both ways
salt
pepper

makes 8 quarts 

I started by boiling off the chicken with one of the bullion cubes and the onion.  It took about 1 - 2 hours until it was done.  At this point you can remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside to cool off a bit. Remove as much fat as possible from the broth at this point.  Strain the broth and add back into a large pot.  Mine was 10 qt and that is probably the smallest I would recommend.

Add the chopped parsley and sliced celery to the broth and allow it to simmer.  Pick the chicken from the bones and chop into bite-sized pieces and add to the broth.  Slice corn from ears ~ uncooked.  It helps to have a corn cobber.  Mine is a borrowed wooden one similar to this one: Lee's Wooden Corn Cutter.  Add to broth.

At this point, you may need to add more water to get to 8-quarts.  If you add water, please add at least one more bullion cube.  I had to add about 4-quarts so I added 2 cubes.  I also added salt and pepper to taste at this point.

10 minutes before you are ready to put the soup into it's final resting place (mine was 8 1-quart containers) add the sliced hard boiled eggs.

Enjoy! We had a bowl for dinner last week and the rest I'm saving for a few of those cold winter's nights!


These guys are freezer bound!  It is a good idea to let the soup cool a bit on the counter and then chill in the fridge before finally landing in the freezer.



1 comment:

  1. Amy,
    Thanks for sharing! I've been looking for recipes that I can make ahead and freeze for when the baby comes. Thanks for leaving me a link on FB :)
    take care,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete